POEM-St Jude Nursing Workshop
- To provide the participants with knowledge and skills related to pediatric hematology and oncology topics using methods that allow for educational capacity building at local institutions across the region
- Registered Nurses from POEM participating countries who are involved with the care of pediatric oncology patients.
- Senior nurses and nurse educator interested in running similar programs in their own countries and institutions are encouraged
This program will be conducted in English.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Develop an education plan for children with cancer and their families
- Describe nursing management of common aspects related to the treatment of children with cancer
- Identify possible long-term consequences of childhood cancer treatment
Requirements for the successful completion of the program:
- Attendance and signed activity attendance record for all sessions in the program outline
- Completion of evaluation form for all sessions
Participants who successfully complete the program will receive ANCC contact hours.
- Small group hands-on sessions
- Discussion sessions with experts
- Case study presentations
This 2-day workshop includes the following topics:
- Patient and Family Education
- Chemotherapy Administration
- Long-term effects of Childhood Cancer Treatment
- Management of Central Venous Access Devices
- Nursing Management of Oncologic Emergencies
- Nursing Management of Chemotherapy Side Effects and Pain